What is LIMP MODE?
Limp mode is a security feature which your vehicle activates when the engine or transmission control unit picks up a fault.
When limp mode is activated, less important features of the vehicle will be switched off and the vehicle will lose power and the speed will also be reduced.
The engine light of your vehicle may come on with limp mode, but also can be that no lights comes on.
How can I check what is causing LIMP MODE?
The only way to check what is causing this limp mode is to hook up the computer VCDS and check what faults it gives you.
How can I get out of LIMP MODE?
- Remain calm.
- Bring your vehicle to a safe and uncrowded part of the road.
- Put your automatic transmission into “park mode”.
- Turn off your ignition switch.
- Wait for 20-30 seconds.
- Turn off the engine.
- Shift the gear into anything you want.
After these steps you can switch the vehicle back on. When driving the problem may occur from time to time. Be sure to then get it checked out by a professional.
What may cause my vehicle to go into LIMP MODE?
- Transmission problem
- The boost deviation might have an error.
- Signal value way too far out of range.
- Battery acid leaking.
- Boost control problems.
- Faulty engine sensors.
- Wiring issues.
Easy fixes for LIMP MODE:
- Check all fluids.
- Clean MAF sensors.
- Check, clean or replace air filter.
- Check for trouble codes.